THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
- The child’s original Birth Certificate (if less than 4 months, the hospital official certificate)
- Parents and godparents’ picture identification that indicates the date of birth
- If one of the parents cannot be present, a notarized consent letter from the absent parent is required
- If you have been granted full custody (not joint custody or guardianship) provide the court documents
The donation is $125 in cash per baptized child and covers the following:
- The ceremony and Baptism Certificate
- The payment in cash is done on the day of the ceremony. No checks or credit/debit cards are accepted
- Online: After reading the requirements, click on “Registration”. Once the registration is completed, you will receive an email inquiring the time and date you want to schedule the baptism and the documents you need to bring.
- In person: Office # 3 of La Placita, on Monday to Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 2:00 p.m to 4:00 p.m. (registration and Baptism Certificate only).
PRE-BAPTISM VIDEO ONLINE It is a very easy course comprised of 4 videos of 2-3 minutes. The parents and godparents have to see it before the day the baptism.
Frequently asked questions
How old the child must be in order to be baptized?
The child has to be younger than 7 years old. If that is not the case please contact us at (213) 29-3101.
Who can be the godparent or godmother?
It can be a godparent, a godmother, or a couple consisting of a man and woman. They must be over 18 years of age, Catholic and have fulfilled the three sacraments -Baptism, First Holy Communion and Confirmation. If they are husband and wife, they must be married by the Catholic Church.
What documents do I need to submit?
The child’s original Birth Certificate. If less than 4 months, the hospital official certificate. Parents and godparents’ picture identification that includes the birth date.
Where and how can I register the child who is going to be baptized?
Online www.laplacita.org. After reading the requirements, click on “Registration”. Once the registration is completed, you will receive an email with the date, time of the ceremony and the documents you need to bring. In person: Office # 3 of La Placita, on Monday and Tuesday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
What documents do I need to submit if one the parents cannot be present?
A notarized consent letter from the absent parent is required.
What documents do I need to submit if I have been granted full custody of the child?
You need to submit the court documents.
What is the pre-baptism video?
It is a very easy 4 videos course of 2-3 minutes each. The parents and godparents have to see it before the day the baptism.
How much is the donation?
The donation is $125 in cash per child.
When do I need to make the donation?
The payment in cash is done on the day of the ceremony. No checks or credit/debit cards are accepted.
When are the baptism ceremonies?
Community Baptism Ceremonies take place each Friday, Saturday and Sunday
How many guests can attend?
There is no limit in the number of guest for Friday and Saturday ceremonies. Sunday ceremony has a limit of 6 guest (including parents/godparents).
Do you offer private baptism ceremonies?
For information on private baptisms, please call (213) 629-3101.
May I take pictures and record video during the ceremony?
In compliance with the State Law for the Protection of Minors, it is not allowed to take photographs or record video inside the church during the ceremony.